Sunday, March 25, 2012

Go forth and read, my children

Click on the blog name after the tilde to get to the article itself. :) 

Together ~ Sit a Spell
"When we were waiting to adopt, I remember sitting in adoption training and workshops as speakers attempted to paint a realistic picture of adoption.  Although I'm convinced no one can fully prepare someone to adopt, we're thankful we were not sold the lie that adoption is glamorous and easy.  Beautiful, yes.  Necessary, sometimes.  Easy-breezy?  Never.  The adoption community around us helped our family understand that we were volunteering to walk into a life-long situation built on loss, hurt, pain, and the unknown.  There would be varying degrees of loss, pain, and the unknown for every adoptive household, but we knew...those elements would exist in our story moving forward.  Most painfully, they would exist in our child's story."

God Forgets ~ Working Preacher.org 
"Just under two years ago I was at a family reunion, visiting with cousins that I hadn't seen in years because of our move from the East Coast to Minnesota. One of my cousins brought greetings from her father, a favorite uncle on mine. He is in the far stages of dementia, lives with the support and care of the staff of a long-term care facility, and was not able to come to this reunion. His daughter brought this greeting: "Tell my family that, although I do not remember them, I still love them."  

There ~ Freddie DeBoer
 "You don't have to be the worst off to have my support, my friendship, my sympathies, my vote, my solidarity. But to be upwardly mobile and educated and America, as I am and was, and speak of your problems as if they are the moral justification for revolution-- no. Generational warfare? Why, when the same inequity and injustice that harms the child continues to constrain the father, the grandfather? Arbitrary divisions of age and circumstance? No: I'll stand with anyone who is willing to change the world for the empowerment of the dispossessed. I will break bread with the young and educated and dissatisfied, I will work towards their goals and ending their problems, but I will never stop insisting that it is a deeply regressive mistake to highlight those problems as the first priority of a revolutionary movement. Things change, in your life, and you get to be consumed in that change, and you get to cry for the moon and for yourself for awhile, but you never forget the ceaseless cruelty of a homeless shelter, of a housing project. If that means you are speaking for the subaltern, or that you are being condescending, or that your radicalism is a product of privilege, so be it. You are who you are. Keep your own counsel, do your own good for those who are not used to having good done to them, and burn a quiet flame inside of yourself, and I swear I will have your back, no matter how good or bad I've been to you in the past. My support is probably worth nothing, nothing at all, but I swear I will keep that promise."

Tragedy Gives the Hoodie a Whole New Meaning ~ NPR
"And so, people wearing hoodies to honor Trayvon Martin are trying to turn the negativity toward hoodies inside out. Could such a sea change possibly work? Could it be the more that different kinds of people wear hoodies, the less the sweatshirts will be revolting to the Geraldo Riveras of the world? Could the Wear-a-Hoodie Movement really alter the way that some Americans look at other Americans? And, one last question, could a sweatshirt designed to enclose and envelop be a catalyst for more openness and more meaningful dialogue?"

Tears in Target ~ Katherine Willis Pershey
"I checked myself. I did feel awfully bad for the injured child. He was obviously in pain, his white face crimson. And his mother, sitting on the floor with her son, tending to his agony.
But I was also crying for Trayvon Martin and, Lord have mercy, Trayvon Martin's mother.
And I was crying for all black boys and, Lord have mercy, the mothers that love them. (Read this article by Josie Pickens on Ebony.)
At the checkout, I saw the thirteen-year-old again. He was with his mother this time. He stood next to her in line, smiling as he played that trick on her, the classic one where you reach around and tap the opposite shoulder, trying to get them to turn and look at someone who isn't there."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you.