Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sail Away with Me

When I saw the colors over at The Play Date Cafe, I was struck by how nautical they felt. Weird thought, right? I decided to go with it, but was initially thwarted by my lack of nautical stamps. I was then forced to try something new to me: masking. The stamps here are all from the My Happy set from Hero Arts. The bottom of the boat is half of the woodgrain circle. I started there. Then I masked off a triangle which I hoped would work for the sail. I stamped the green first, then the red, then the bright blue. To finish it off, I stamped part of the sentiment to make the mast say "happy". It's obviously not perfect stamping, but I was really pleased that I could make the thought into a presentable card.

What new techniques have you tried lately?

I am also entering this in the CAS-ual Fridays challenge to use a pattern (the chevrons), a sentiment (happy) and an image (the boat itself). And while I'm at it, the Simon Says Stamp Challenge to use a little bit 'o green :)



9 comments:

  1. AWESOME job on the idea and execution, Kerry! Love the nautical theme here! So glad that you join the fun with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you've said it you're right, they do have a nautical theme to them. Love how you've followed that through to this fun creation! Great job! Thanks so much for joining us over at The Play Date Cafe this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun is this, Kerry?! Way to rocking that masking technique, and I'm so glad you went with your gut instincts and brought this lovely creation to life! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cool! I love your chevron sail :) Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to use the stamps that you have!! Love your card!!
    Thanks so much for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Challenge blog.
    xoxo, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh!! This is utterly BRILLIANT! Love the creative genius in the masking - outstanding! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays - we're so glad you did!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun take on the color story this week! I love the creative design! So glad to have you in The Cafe this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very creative and a great CAS result. Love the sentiment as a mast.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I love to hear from you.